We look forward to seeing you in Denver! This resource page provides materials and resources related to the Institute.
Applying for financial aid begins with each family completing a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) to submit to your school via School and Student Services by NAIS (SSS). We have created an assignment that ensures you know what data is collected from parents and where that data ends up in School Portal for use in the SSS methodology. The INFAP pre-assignment will prepare you for on-site exercises that simulate the actions and choices you will need to make to become a savvy financial aid professional. Your INFAP assignment is to complete a PFS, as would be required of any parent applying for financial aid at your school. However, before you, or any other parent, can submit a PFS the intended school must first have configured basic setup options in School Portal.
There are two components to this assignment. Please read the assignment instructions completely before you begin working on any part. A full overview of the assignment will be very helpful to navigating the steps you need to finish.
The assignment components are:
Step 1: Setting up your username and password - A special School Portal training account has been set up especially for this event. It is important that you Do Not Use Your Regular School Portal Account for this assignment. The deadline for completing this first step is EOD Friday, July 1, 2016. Please send an email to Melvin Rhoden to confirm that you have successfully accessed School Portal.
Step 2: Completing the Parents’ Financial Statement and submit supporting documents. AFTER you confirm successful login to School Portal, SSS will email details for submitting a sample PFS and required supporting documents. The deadline for the second component is EOD Thursday, July 21, 2016.
Please complete both assignments prior to arriving in Denver.
In-Person Materials and Resources
- Onsite Agenda
- Acronyms, Terms and Definitions
- Principles of Good Practice (PGPs)
- Guiding Principles for Families
- Put It In Writing: A Guide to Creating A Financial Aid Policy Manual
- SSS Methodology Overview
- 2015 Quick Reference Chart
- Five Steps to Reviewing a Financial Aid Folder
- How to Apply for Financial Aid flyer
- Group Project Summary (will be posted July 20)
Sample Resources from Other Schools
NOTE: These samples are being provided as a courtesy, with permission from representatives of the schools to which they belong, to help you craft your own correspondence or other documentation. Providing these samples does not imply that either NAIS or SSS staff specifically endorse or recommend the policies that the samples may reflect.
Landon School (MD)
Woodberry Forest School (VA)
- Award Letter
- Denial Letter
- Financial Aid Info for International Family
- Incomplete Financial Aid Application Letter
- Financial Aid Policy Statement – Divorce and Separated Parents
St. Stephen's Episcopal School (TX)
- Financial Aid Info for Returning Families
- Financial Aid Deny Letter
- Financial Aid Information for Returning Families
- Financial Aid Wait Pool Letter
- Financial Aid Award Letter (screen shot)
- How to Apply for Financial Aid
Brentwood Academy (TN)
St. Andrew's School (Delaware)
Phillips Exeter Academy (New Hampshire)